Saturday 3 December 2011

Team Charlie's Mustache

I have a confession to make, and this time it doesn't involve wool.  I went to see Breaking Dawn last night annnnnnnd I kinda loved it.  Now before you judge me, I must explain myself.  Back when the first Twilight movie came out, I mocked it and all of its fans and avoided seeing it as long as possible.  And then I read this blog post.  It just sounded too hilarious to pass up (I must add that the writer of that post is a self-professed Twilight fan, by which I mean that she read all the books).  So The Enabler and I procured a copy of it and sat down to watch it one night.  We laughed our asses off but we were thoroughly entertained.  So when the second movie came out we were like, yeah okay, we'll give it a shot...  And it was also pretty entertaining.  Same with the third.  And now... well... I'm not sure what Breaking Dawn was exactly, but I walked out of the movie theatre kinda giddy and totally looking forward to the next (and last) one.

Another confession.  I haven't read the books so I don't know how it all turns out.  I tried to read the first book after seeing the first couple of movies and it didn't work out.  It's probably the only time that I've ever felt that the movie was an improvement over the book.  I couldn't wade through the pages upon endless pages of tortured inelegant descriptions about how beautiful Edward was and how painfully moody Bella felt.  After about a quarter of the way through I gave up.  So sue me.

So to get on with the point of all this...  Whether you love it or hate it, you can't deny the appeal of Bella's Mittens which were inspired by the mittens Bella wears in the first Twilight movie (The link to download the pattern is at the bottom of the post).  They are simple and elegant (unlike Stephanie Meyers's prose), and work up quickly using a heavier weight yarn.  If you've never tried cables, this is a great pattern to learn with.  The instructions say to use the magic loop technique, but I did it with 4 dpns, using the 5th needle as a cable needle and it worked just fine.

And yes, I brought my knitting with me to the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment