Thursday 1 December 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Knitmas...

Happy December 1st!

I decided I'm going to pose a little challenge for myself for the month of December, which will be to post every day in the days leading up to Christmas.  I don't really have the time or energy to come up with a full-blown blog post every single day (come on, you can't expect me to give up that much knitting time!), so what I'm going to do is this:

Every day I will post one of my favourite free knitting or crochet patterns.  I'm not sure but it might be necessary to sign up for ravelry for some of them, but really if you're a knitter and you're not already on ravelry, perhaps this will give you the push to sign up.  Some of them will be Christmas themed, I can't say at this point how many.  Lots of them are small things to make as a quick gift or decoration if you're looking for ideas.  Some of them are things I want to make but haven't yet, and some of them are things I've made over and over.  <shameless bribe> I'm not totally sure yet how it will play out yet so you'll just have to come back every day to find out!  Because obviously there is no other way to find free patterns than by reading this blog.  </shameless bribe>

So without further ado, what better way to start out than with Smitten, the knitted advent calendar slash mitten garland.  I think this is just the cutest thing and I'm definitely going to be making it at some point in the future, hopefully before I have kids.  I didn't grow up with the supermarket advent calendars with the chocolates behind the windows.  In fact, I had the audacity to be jealous of my friends that DID have them.  I know better now that what we had instead was much better.  My mom had sewn 24 little stockings and would pin them up on the wall, and every day my brother and I would take turns to pull out that day's treat which would be a sparkly pencil, or candy, or a tiny toy, or any number of awesome things!  It was a lot of fun and made a really nice memory, and I'd love to be able to pass on that tradition to my children someday.  Okay that was a little sappy but my point still stands.  What's the point, you ask?.....

TWO DOZEN TINY MITTENS!!!  ^_^

1 comment:

  1. AAAH TINY MITTENS!!

    This is a very clever idea - much more personal than the stupid cardboard boxes you buy at WalMart. Although one year a friend of mine had one with Lego in it ... I'm still a little jealous.

    Nice to see that my enthusiasm for tiny mittens is not alone in the world.

    ReplyDelete