Saturday, 3 March 2012

So close, and yet so far

The sweater is finished at last.

Well... sort of.  All the knitting is done and the ends are woven in.  Now I just have to block it, find buttons I like, and sew them on.  However, I have tried on the unblocked sweater and it pretty much fits so I am hopeful that this sweater will be totally awesome once I've finished the last couple of steps.

Never having made a sweater before, I have also never blocked a sweater so I'm not sure if it's better to use blocking wires or if I should just pin it out.  I think pins will probably be the way to go.  I just have to psyche myself up for it, which isn't the easiest task in the world.  Maybe tomorrow.  Maybe.

I've been slogging away at my persnickety Snicket socks, and finally finished the first one this week.  It felt like it took FOREVER.  Tiny splitty sock yarn, 2 mm needles, and cables every few stitches every other row through the whole sock makes for a very time consuming project.  Again I say, thank goodness I've learned how to cable without a cable needle, and once I had the stitch pattern memorized, it wasn't so bad.  

Plus, they are pretty awesome.  Even though they are The Colour That Would Not Be Photographed.  Just be aware that you're only getting about 25% of the awesomeness of these socks as that's all my camera can handle.

I started a new on-the-go project this week.  I have been wanting to make a Noro Striped scarf for awhile but just hadn't gotten around to it.  I finally decided that it was time, found the only pair of straight needles I had that weren't plastic, and cast on.  The needles are probably a bit too big for the yarn but I didn't mind the more open look of the stitches and it made for a fairly soft scarf.

But then I started questioning myself.  I liked the way the colours looked together, but I kept thinking about all of the other scarves that I have, and wondered if the yarn might be better as something else.  A shawl?  I wasn't sure I'd have enough for an adequately sized shawl (I have 2 skeins each of two different colourways of Silk Garden, so about 400 m).  Hat and mittens?  Like I don't have enough pairs of neglected mittens already.  Then Christina suggested a cowl and I thought about that for awhile and the wheels started turning.

After a couple of failed experiments, I decided to go with a simple stockinette stitch cowl, and instead of doing basic stripes I am doing an extremely simple mosaic pattern.  Mosaic knitting is a way of doing colourwork except only one yarn is used at a time, so it's not any more difficult than doing stripes. 

It doesn't look like much right now but I like the colours a lot and I am keeping faith that after casting off and blocking it will look much less like a dogs breakfast.  And if it still looks like a dog's breakfast, I can always rip it out and try again.

Plus it's nice and simple while still being interesting enough to keep me from getting bored.  Perfect TV knitting which is good because the Enabler and I started watching Dexter last night.  I am totally hooked already and we're just a few episodes in.  I'm pretty sure that I love it mainly for two reasons:

1. It's very macabre but also hilarious.

2. It's not Dawson's Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment