Saturday 11 February 2012

I suck at sleeping in

Taking good photos and really showing off the projects is all about presentation.  Lighting is important too but it's not even 7 am and so there is no lighting right now (yes I know it's Saturday.  I have a problem).  So for today it's all about presentation.

For example, if I showed you this


you would be confused as to what it was you were looking at.  You might think you see some distinguishing characteristic, but would never really know unless I specifically told you what it was, and even then you'd probably never see it.

However, if I showed you this


you would immediately recognize it as a sweater (or at least part of one)!  See that?  See what I did there?  Yeah that's my sweater.  The sleeves are totally done.  The torso is about 2 inches away from being done, and then comes the scary part where I have to actually somehow join the sleeves to the torso.  Not sure how that's going to work.  I'd better brush up on my binding spells because I'm pretty sure magic is involved somehow.

In other news, my Daybreak/Sunset is trucking along.  It's one of those patterns where I decided not to follow the pattern exactly for the number of repeats and just make stripes until I ran out of the Noro, and then just knit the border until I run out of the black.  The problem with that, however, is that you have to figure out how much yarn each stripe takes.  I got to 18 stripes of each colour (the large size is 20 stripes), and had to make a decision.  I had about one whole colour repeat left, and each stripe at that point was taking roughly one whole colour repeat.  However, each subsequent stripe of colour is 14 stitches longer than the stripe before it, so each stripe takes more and more yarn.  I debated for awhile...  either I cut the yarn and play it safe, or I put it all on the line and go for it.  Worst case scenario I would fall a couple of inches short and have to tink around 900 stitches.  There was roughly a 95% chance that I would run a bit short.  So what did I do?

I played it safe.  I know I know, you were hoping that I would risk it and subsequently have a story about how I either reigned victorious (highly unlikely) or had to suffer through a massive amount of tinking (very very likely).  But no, I cut the yarn and sacrificed what may have been another whole stripe (again, very unlikely, although maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that I did the right thing).  This is all of the Noro I had left:


It might look like a lot but it's really just a loose lump of yarn, and keep in mind that I would have had to get around 1000 stitches out of it, which is quite a lot.  Also most of it is a lighter purple colour and not that brilliant purple/blue that you see in the front.  So I ended the striped part on a really bright colour instead of a lighter one.  Is this enough justification for you?  Good.

No more pictures of the Daybreak/Sunset until it's done, which will (hopefully... maybe) be today.  It's so close to being done I can almost taste it wear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment