Sunday 9 December 2012

I have no regrets

Dear Christmas Knitting,

I'm going to start out by saying that you're great.  I've really enjoyed the last few months together.  There's been some ups and downs, but mostly it's been a pleasure.  However, lately I've been feeling a little claustrophobic.  I feel like I'm being smothered, which is totally not your fault.  I know it's a cliché but it's really true: it's not you, it's me.  You know I've always liked to dabble with different projects and you were okay with that.  We had an understanding.  When it was time to buckle down and focus on you I did it without complaint, and I really enjoyed myself.  But now there's only one project left to be done this year, and I need a bit of a break.  Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to see this through, and I certainly don't want to neglect you.  I made a commitment, and I'm going to stick to it.  But you see, I have over two weeks to complete it, and two weeks is a long time to be knitting just one thing...

I think you see where this is going.  Fine, I'll admit it... I slipped.  I cast on another project, this time for myself.  I was feeling like I was giving and giving and I had nothing more to give.  I needed a little space, a little me time.  I'll come back to you soon, I promise.  I really just need a couple of hours with the new project.  If you saw it, you'd understand.  It's beautiful, and feels wonderful.


I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't have said that, but it's true and I feel like honesty is the best policy.  I hope you can forgive me.  I'll do my best to make it up to you... in a couple of hours.  Maybe a day.  I promise I'll see you soon.

With warm regards,

- Wooloholic


___________________

P.S. Yes, I started knitting Deviate.  I had sort of planned to knit Askew, but the needle size it called for was 3.5 mm and one of my 3.5 mm circular needles is stuck in the apparently never to be finished Honeycomb vest, and the other is stuck in the final Christmas project of 2012 (There's one more to be done which is technically part of Christmas 2012 but it doesn't need to get done until January so I'm not counting that one).  I obviously couldn't wait that long to cast on something new so when I saw that Deviate was knit with a 4 mm needle that solidified my decision.  Of course I managed to misplace the 4 mm needle somewhere between taking it out of the needle roll and sitting down to start knitting.  In between I had put away some patterns and some leftover yarn and made myself some tea and I came back to the couch and it had completely disappeared.  I thought I was losing my mind, and we combed the house up and down for it... and then I found it in my bin of leftover yarn.  I am so smart.

Just so there's more than one photo in this post, here is a teaser photo of the yarn for the final project!


And that's all you're gonna get.

1 comment: