Saturday 23 June 2012

Summer knitting, happened so fast

I'm blogging from my phone today because I'm way too comfortable where I am and don't feel like sitting in the computer chair. This also means that all pictures in this post were taken with and edited on my phone, and the photos will probably be out of order but I think you guys can probably figure it out.

Now then, on with it. I've been knitting a lot lately. I finally finished a couple of things that had been hanging around awhile so I was able to start a few new fun things!

I knit up a toy elephant using the pattern Elijah by Ysolda Teague. I absolutely love it, except that I should have used 3 mm needles (as the pattern suggested) instead of 3.25 mm needles. I didn't have any 3 mms and I was too impatient to wait until I could go buy some so I just used the 3.25s. It turned out fine, but I can see the stuffing through some of the stitches. I also can't decide whether or not to add eyes. He looks so creepy/cute with no eyes!

I also started knitting Earth and Sky by Stephen West for the Enabler. I've never done intarsia before so I think I was unprepared for the amount of ends that would need to be woven in. End weaving aside, I totally love the colours and the pattern, and I think it will look amazing when it is finished, which will be sometime before snow starts flying.

Most importantly though, I started knitting something for myself. I'd been looking for a pattern for my single skein of handmaiden sea silk ever since I got it last fall. It was this skein that really gave the Enabler his name. I wouldn't have bought it as it was $40 and so lovely that I didn't think I could do it justice, but he insisted. After 8 months of searching and rejecting 100s of patterns (and coming to terms with the fact that one skein was not enough for Clapotis), I finally found a pattern worthy of the yarn. Sweet Dreams by Boo Knits is the one that finally captured my fancy. It has optional beading, and I have never done beading before but I think this shawl will give me a reason to try.

I haven't gotten to the lace or beading part yet but I already love this pattern. I haven't done lace in awhile so I'm really excited to sink my teeth into this one. And trust me when I say that the photo does not do this yarn justice. The yarn shines due to it being 70% silk, and ranges in colour from silver to pewter to bronze to gold (the colorway is called mineral). It's lovely in every way and I really think the marriage of pattern and yarn is going to be a beautiful thing. Now let's hope I don't prove myself wrong.

Ok, blogging done, time to go knit al fresco since it's (finally) sunny and beautiful outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment